A brief history .
Many historic transactions, dating back to the Louisiana Purchase, occurred before breaking ground at the site of the Hatchery House. The earliest of these transactions was the purchase of the land where Weston now exists through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Shortly after acquisition of the land, two prominent explorers were sent out to survey the land--Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Lewis and Clark's reports of the new territory were motivation for many to make their way to the land, especially "traders and trappers". Thirty-three years passed until the Platte County land was officially purchased by the Federal Government from the Iowa, Sac, Fox, Sioux and Algonquin Indians for $7,400 in 1836 (The Platte Purchase). In 1844, the United States sold a portion of land to the town of Weston.
Just a short year later in 1845, a gentlemen named Benjamin Wood, who would eventually go on to become mayor of Weston, bought some of this land from the town of Weston and built a beautiful two story, federal styled home. Through the years, the house changed owners several times. Mr. Wood sold the house to Ben Holladay on April 5th 1856 for $5,000. A few years later on August 26th 1872, Ben sold the house to his brother, David Holladay for $5,800. David lived at the house and ran the distillery that he and his brother founded, while his brother, Ben, ventured west and gained fame from the Overland Stagecoach Company.